Give us a call and we will guide you through the process of making arrangements. 503.618.8176

  • Legal Name
  • Social Security Number
  • Birth Date
  • Birth Place- City and State (City/Town and Country- for people born outside the US)
  • Education Level- i.e. Bachelors Degree
  • US Armed Forces information- DD214 discharge paperwork
  • Residence Address
  • Marital Status at time of death- Spouses maiden name whether deceased or not
  • Usual Occupation during lifetime
  • Industry of Primary Occupation
  • Fathers Name
  • Mothers Maiden Name

The following information is required for a death that occurred in Washington:

  • Length of residence in county

Preferred date – time and location of funeral/memorial service; will the date and time work for the family, funeral home and cemetery

Officiant information — if you have a pastor/celebrant you would like to officiate the service. (We work closely with several local churches, chaplains and celebrants, and would be happy to assist in selecting an appropriate officiant for your service.)

Musical selections — We are happy to accommodate a pianist, vocalist, or other type of musician for your service. Other options include CD music that you provide, or you may choose to look through the musical selections we offer.

Military Honors — Military honors may be performed at the funeral home, church or graveside for a veteran. Please provide DD214 discharge paperwork to insure the veteran receives their well-deserved honors. Please ask your funeral director for specific information.

Obituary information —  We are happy to contact local and non-local newspapers. Please contact your funeral director for current prices of paid obituaries.

You will need certified copies of the Death Certificate for:

  • Life Insurance Policies — You will need a copy for each policy that is in force.
  • Banks — Bank accounts that are in the deceaseds name only- if accounts are joint accounts, you will not need a certified copy. The bank may take a photo copy.
  • Safety Deposit Box — Contact the bank.
  • Bank Loans, Installment Contracts — Call and inquire if they are insured.
  • Stocks — Write to the stock company about transferring to your name or contact your stock broker. You will need a certified copy of the death certificate.
  • P.E.R.S — or Union Pensions.

Many places may be able to use a photo copy of the certified death certificate — Ask.

The state of Oregon charges a $20.00 filing fee to file the orignial death certificate. Certified Death Certificates cost $25.00 each. If you need additional copies, please call us and we can order them for you, or you may contact the vital records department of the county in which the death occurred.

No. Embalming is not required by law, but may be required by a cemetery for entombment in a mausoleum, or in the event that the body is to be transported across state lines. There are also some infectious diseases that create the necessity to embalm if there is to be public viewing. Please contact your funeral director for further information.

All honorably discharged veterans are eligible for placement at a National Cemetery. They are entitled to receive a grave space, grave liner, grave marker, opening and closing of the grave and the presentation of military honors. A burial reimbursement may be available for a veteran who is on VA disability/retirement, or a veteran who expires at a VA hospital. Your funeral director can assist with all necessary paperwork and applications.

(Quote directly from SSA Publication 05-10008)

A one-time payment of $255.00 can be paid to the surviving spouse if he or she was living with the deceased; or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceaseds record. If there is no surviving spouse, the payment is made to a child who is eligible for benefits on the deceaseds record in the month of death.

Certain family members may be eligible to receive monthly benefits, including:

  • A widow or widower age 60 or older (age 50 or older if disabled);
  • A surviving spouse at any age who is caring for the deceaseds child under age 16 or disabled;
  • An unmarried child of the deceased who is:
  • Younger than age 18 (or age 18 or 19 if he or she is a full-time student in an elementary or secondary school); or
  • Age 18 or older with a disability that began before age 22;
  • Parents, age 62 or older, who were dependent on the deceased for at least half of their support; and
  • A surviving divorced spouse, under certain circumstances.

If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, you must return the benefit received for the month of death or any later months. For example, if the person dies in July, you must return the benefit paid in August. If benefits were paid by direct deposit, contact the bank or other financial institution. Request that any funds received for the month of death or later be returned to Social Security. If the benefits were paid by check, do not cash any checks received for the month in which the person dies or later. Return the checks to Social Security as soon as possible.

However, eligible family members may be able to receive death benefits for the month in which the beneficiary died.